The Icebreaker Sampo Cruise – Our most popular tour!
The four hour cruise departs from the Port of Ajos in Kemi, located 11 kilometres south from the city centre of Kemi. The diesel Icebreaker Sampo runs at the northern Gulf of Bothnia in Finnish Lapland. This vessel is the first icebreaker in the world operating for tourists. After serving on Arctic waters, Icebreaker Sampo was given a new, more fascinating task – to offer remarkable experiences to eager winter adventurers.
During the cruise you will have a guided on-board tour visiting the vessel facilities from the captain’s bridge down to the engine room. A delicious lunch is served in the cozy Arctic Restaurant. The Icebreaker Sampo will stop for an hour while you have a unique chance to participate in an Arctic swimming event wearing a waterproof survival suit! At the end of the cruise the captain will award “The Sampo Cruise Certificate” to each cruise participant. This experience will be unforgettable!
Price: from 359 Euros (please check the current prices and availability by e-mail:email@example.com )
or book online https://shop.taxari.com
3 – 11 year old children – 40% off the price
0 – 2 year old children – free of charge
Boarding time: 07.30 (morning cruise)
12.30 (afternoon cruise)
17.30 (evening cruise)
Duration: 4 hour cruise
The price includes:
- buss transfer from your hotel in Kemi
- onboard-guided tour in English/Finnish, other languages upon request
- the Brunch (the morning cruise), the Lunch (the afternoon cruise), the Dinner (the evening cruise). Vegetarian choice is available.
- swimming/floating in the sea, survival suits provided.
- Please note(!): requirements for swimming/floating, height minimum 145 cm
- Icebreaker Diploma
The cruise reservations must be made in advance. When making your reservations, please provide us the following information of each participant: forename, surname, nationality and date of the birth.
About the Icebreaker Sampo
The Icebreaker Sampo used to be in the service of the State of Finland until the year 1987. During the guided tour you will hear plenty of interesting details of the Icebreaker, about ice and breaking the ice etc. You get to experience the Icebreaker Sampo in the midst of vast open arctic sea-scenery!
4-hour cruise starts from the Port of Ajos which is located about 11 km south from the city centre of Kemi. The passenger capacity on board the Icebreaker Sampo is 150 persons.
- Arctic Sunrise – Brunch cruise 8:00 – 12:00: Morning cruise – a great possibility to enjoy the arctic sunrise. The brunch cruise departs at 8:00 am from the Port of Ajos in Kemi. You are allowed to board the ship 30 minutes prior the departure.
- Blue Moment – Afternoon cruise 13:00 – 17:00: Depending on the month – either a twilight atmosphere on the Gulf of Bothnia (December) or a unique combination of light hours and the “blue moment” on the frozen sea. Afternoon cruise departs at 1:00pm from the Port of Ajos in Kemi. You are allowed to board the ship 30 minutes prior the departure.
- Seeking for the Northern Lights – Evening cruise 18:00 – 22:00: We recommend this cruise for the seekers of the Northern lights and stars. Mysterious darkness is combined with the power of icebreaking . Evening cruise departs at 6:00 pm from the Port of Ajos in Kemi. You are allowed to board the ship 30 minutes prior the departure.
- Due to the safety reasons only about 15 clients are allowed to go floating at the same time. Your personal floating time is noted in the tailored cruise timetable you will receive upon arrival.
- Swimming/floating event is voluntary but we highly recommend it for it is an utterly unique experience.
- Please note that for swimming/floating minimum height is 145 cm.
- The staff will help each client to get dressed to the impermeable survival suit. Please remember: in the middle of the icy sea you will only be able to float, but not to swim! The staff will be close to you at all times.
- To prepare for the arctic winter time and activities, we highly recommend you to dress in warm layered underwear and thick outdoor clothing as in addition of enjoying the inside of the Icebreaker you will also be able to go outside on the deck to see and feel the arctic scenery around, as well as watch how the icebreaker in fact breaks the ice! If during the cruise ice and weather conditions are appropriate, clients will be allowed in conjunction of the swimming/floating event to also walk on the ice. A warm hat, wool socks, good mittens and a fleece- or wool jacket are part of proper winter clothing.
A morning cruise with a great possibility to enjoy the arctic sunrise with a delicious breakfast on board.
|Duration:||4 hours (8.00-12.00)|
Price includes: Breakfast
The afternoon cruise is – depending on the month – either a twilight athmosphere on the Gulf of Bothnia (December) or a unique combination of light hours and the “blue moment” on the frozen sea. A late lunch is served during the cruise.
|Duration:||4 hours (13.00-17.00)|
Price includes: buffet lunch
We recommend this cruise for the seekers of the Northern lights and stars. The mysterious darkness combined with the powerful icebreaking is unforgettable!
|Duration:||4 hours (18.00-22.00)|
The price includes: buffet dinner
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The reservations should be made in advance preferably 90 days before cruise. Sampo activity is very popular and many dates fully booked 1year before departure.
- Seats on Icebreaker Sampo can be booked as a part of package, which includes the other activity or/and accommodation in Sea-Lapland area.
- 0-2 year olds, free of charge.
- Child discount on Sampo Icebreaker is applicable for children 3-11 years old.
- Children 3-11 year olds get –40% off the prices.
- Excursion will be guided in English/Finnish, other languages upon request
- You will be picked up by Taxari Travel guide from your hotel
- During the cruise is recommended to dress up the warm multilayered outerwear.
- All prices are quoted in Euro (€) and include Finland’s Value Added Tax.
- For reservation under 50 Euro and invoices sent via email, a 10 Euro invoicing fee will be charged.
- Payment methods: VISA, MASTER CARD, INVOICE, PAYPAL (add. fee 3,4% of total amount will be charged with payment by PayPal)
- When the reservation is confirmed, 100% proforma invoice will be charged. Reservation is confirmed when the payment is made.
- In case the deposit is not received in due date, we have the right to cancel the reservation
- More than 91 days prior to arrival – 10% reservation fee to be charged.
- 90-14 days prior the arrival: 50% from the total amount to be charged
- Less than 14 days prior the arrival: 100% from the total amount to be charged.
- All cancelations / changes must be made in writing and dated, within the office hours in Finland (8-16, +2GMT)