The mighty Icebreaker Sampo operates on the northern Gulf of Bothnia out of Kemi in Finnish Lapland. After serving for 30 years in demanding Arctic waters the vessel has been given a new, more fascinating task – to give unforgettable experiences for eager winter adventurers! The passenger capacity on board the Sampo is 150 persons.
Cruise departs the Port of Ajos in Kemi, about 11 km south from the centre of Kemi. During the cruise you will have a guided tour on board the icebreaker visiting its facilities from the engine room all the way up to the captain’s bridge. A delicious lunch is served in the ship’s cozy Sampo Arctic Restaurant. Before returning to the port, the ship will make a one hour stop and you’ll have the chance for the exciting experience of swimming in freezing cold waters, dressed in warm impermeable survival suits!
This experience is to be unforgettable!
On arrival back to the port, the captain will honor each cruise participant with a Sampo Icebreaker Certificate.
Price from: 359 Euro/person
Please check the current price and availibility by e-mail:email@example.com.
Minimum 1 person
Duration: 4 – hour cruise and transfers Kemi – Sampo – Kemi
Cruise departs the Port of Ajos in Kemi, about 11 km south from the centre Kemi
The price includes:
- buss transfer Kemi – Sampo – Kemi
- Icebreaker Sampo cruise
- guided tour around the ship
- swimming/floating in the sea, survival suits provided
- Please note: requirements for swimming/floating, height, minimum 145 cm
- Brunch or Lunch or Dinner
Cruise reservations must be made in advance. When making your reservations, please provide us the following information for each participant:
1. Forename, surname, gender, nationality, and the date of birth.
2. Lunch or Dinner selection: creamy salmon soup or reindeer soup. Bread with butter, coffee/tea are included in the price. Vegetarian choice: cream of coconut-carrot soup.
ICEBREAKER SAMPO CRUISES TIMETABLE 2016 — 2017
Date with *-.- Arctic Sunrise – brunch cruise at 8-12
Date with -*- Blue Moment – afternoon cruise at 13-17
Date with -.-* Seeking for the Northern Lights – evening cruise at 18-22
(**- brunch and afternoon cruises / *** brunch and afternoon and evening cruises)
|28 ***||29 **-||30 ***||31 **-|
|2**-||3 *–||4**-||5-*-||7 -*-|
|9-*-||11-*-||12**-||13 -*-||14 **-|
|18-*-||19**-||20 **-||21 **-||22-*-|
|23-**||26 ***||27 ***||28 ***||29***|
|1 ***||2 **-||3 ***||4 ***||5 -*-|
|6 -*-||7 **-||8 -**||9 -*-||10 ***||11 ***|
|14-*-||15 -*-||16 **-||17***||18 **-||19 -*-|
|20**-||21 -*-||22 -*-||23 **-||24 ***||25 **-||26 -*-|
|1 -*-||2 **-||3 ***||4 **-|
|6 -*-||7-*-||8 -*-||9 -*-||10 **-||11 **-||12 -*-|
|15 **-||16 -**||17 **-||18 **-|
|21 **-||22 -*-||23 -**||24 **-||25 -*-|
|28 -*-||29 -*-||30 -*-||31**-|
|7 -*-||8 **-|
|12 -*-||13 -*-||14 -*-||15 -*-|
About Sampo Icebreaker
The Icebreaker Sampo used to be in the service of the State of Finland until the year 1987. During the guided tour you will hear plenty of interesting details of the Icebreaker, about ice and breaking the ice etc.
Come and experience the Sampo in the midst of vast open arctic sea-scenery!
4-hour cruise departs at the Port of Ajos in Kemi, about 11 km south from the centre of Kemi.
- Arctic Sunrise – Brunch cruise 8:00 – 12:00: Morning cruise – a great possibility to enjoy the arctic sunrise. The brunch cruise departs at 8 at the Port of Ajos in Kemi. You are allowed to arrive on board the ship starting at 7:30am.
- Blue Moment – Afternoon cruise 13:00 – 17:00: Depending on the month – either a twilight atmosphere on the Gulf of Bothnia (December) or a unique combination of light hours and the “blue moment” on the frozen sea. Afternoon cruise departs at 13 at the Port of Ajos in Kemi. You are allowed to arrive on board the ship starting at 12:30am.
- Seeking for the Northern Lights – Evening cruise 18:00 – 22:00: We recommend this cruise for seekers of the Northern lights and stars. Mysterious darkness combined with the powerful icebreaking is unforgettable! Evening cruise departs at 18 at the Port of Ajos in Kemi. You are allowed to arrive on board the ship starting at 17:30.
- The passenger capacity of the Sampo Icebreaker is 150 persons.
- On arrival the cruise staff will welcome you aboard the Icebreaker. Your reservation will be found under your name. You will receive the tailored cruise timetable reserved for you.
Brunch or Lunch or Dinner on board
All menu bookings to de made in advance.
- Brunch: season´s vegetables, vinaigrette dressing, scrambled eggs, cold smoked salmon, marinated herring, Finnish meatballs, cured ham, salami, Finnish cheese assortment, croissants and buns, jam & butter, mini muffins, cookies, juice assortment coffee/tea.
- Premium brunch buffet, additional charge 30 Eur/person: including hot soup and raspberry parfait
- Lunch or Dinner selection: creamy salmon soup or reindeer soup or vegetarian choice cream of coconut-carrot soup. Bread with butter, coffee/tea are included in the price.
- Three course menu, additional charge 30 Eur/person: Creamy salmon soup – Pulled beef with Cranberry sauce, caramelized beetroot, Hash browns – Beetroot-chocolate pie with vanilla coating, coffee/tea. Vegetarian choice: soup of vegetable pure, vegetables au gratin in a pot & jasmine rice, cranberries with caramel sauce, coffee/tea.
- During most of the Sampo cruises, lunch is served in two settings, due to the limited seat capacity in the Restaurant.
- PLEASE NOTE that lunch choice needs to be booked in advance. Unfortunately we are not able to change the menu on board the ship.
- Due to safety reasons, only about 15 clients are allowed to go floating at the same time. Your personal floating time is mentioned in the tailored cruise timetable you will receive upon arrival.
- Swimming/floating event is voluntary but we highly recommend it for its utterly unique experience.
- Please note the for swimming/floating minimum height is 145 cm.
- The cruise staff will be helping each client to dress in an impermeable survival suit. And remember: in order to float in the middle of the sea in a broken area of ice, you do not have to be able to swim! And the staff will be close by at all times.
On arrival back to the port, the captain will honour each cruise participant with a Sampo Icebreaker Certificate.
Clothing for Sampo Icebreaker
- To prepare for the arctic winter time and activities, we highly recommend you to dress in warm layered underwear and thick outdoor clothing as in addition of enjoying the inside of the Icebreaker you will also be able to go outside on the deck to see and feel the arctic scenery around as well as watch how the icebreaker in fact breaks the ice! If during the cruise ice and weather conditions are appropriate, clients will be allowed in conjunction of the swimming/floating event to also walk on the ice. A warm hat, woollen socks, good mittens and a fleece- or woollen jacket are part of proper winter clothing.
This way your experience is to be unforgettable!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The reservations should be made in advance. Sampo activity is very popular and many dates fully booked 1year before departure.
- Seats on Icebreaker Sampo can be booked as a part of package, which include other activity or/and accommodation in Sea-Lapland area.
- 0-3 years, free of charge.
- Child discount on Sampo Icebreaker is applicable for children 4-11 years old.
- Children 4-11 years get –40% off from the prices.
- Excursion will be guided in English
- to change due the timetables/contents of the Icebreaker Cruises due to ice or weather conditions or similar reasons.
- to cancel a Cruise in case of lack of appropriate amount of passenger reservations. Such cancelation must be communicated to the client min 28 days prior to the scheduled departure.
- All prices are quoted in Euro (€) and include Finland’s Value Added Tax.
- Resesrvation is considered confirmed when the payment is received by Taxari Travel Ltd. 100% from the total amount is due 90 days prior to arrival.
- In case the payment is not received by the due date, we withhold the right to cancel the reservation.
- For reservation under 50eur and invoices sent via mqail, a 10eur invoicing fee will be charged.
- Payment methods: VISA, MASTER CARD, INVOICE, PAYPAL (add. fee 3,4% of total amount will be charged with payment by PayPal)
- More than 31 days prior to arrival – 10% reservation fee to be charged.
- 30-14 days prior the arrival: 50% from the total amount to be charged
- Less than 14 days prior the arrival: 100% from the total amount to be charged.
- All cancelations / changes must be made in writing and dated, within the office hours in Finland (8-16, +2GMT). Changes later than 14 days prior to customer’s arrival: Taxari Travel Ltd withholds the right to charge extra costs for all changes.